Tuesday, July 14, 2009

What's Love Got To Do With It?

Not to long ago Mimi did a post about exercise. I have a love/hate relationship with exercise. Mostly hate. After all, to quote a wise woman, what's love got to do with it?

Don't get me wrong, I love that it's good for me. I love that it's healthy, makes my clothes fit better, and makes me feel good that I did it. I don't even usually mind exercising once I start. But I hate having to make myself do it, and I have a hard time making myself start.

Exercising, losing weight, eating healthy.....that takes work! I just want someone to come up with something that doesn't involve work or saying "no" to eating out or eating sweets. I know, good luck with that.

Billy Blanks' dvds and I are old friends. Jillian Michaels and I have even been on speaking terms from time to time.

But today I am having a little trouble motivating myself to exercise. Man, I used to be an exercise fanatic. Well, that or at least very, very dedicated to it. I seem to have fallen off the exercise bike wagon lately.

I mean, why wouldn't I want to work up a sweat? Why wouldn't I want to tire myself out until my legs feel like a rubbery noodle? Why wouldn't I want to lift weights until my arms are so sore that I can't even reach for a bag of chips? Why wouldn't I? Doesn't it sound like fun?

Sometimes I just want to reach through the t.v. and grab that little instructor gal by the neck and slap her silly and ask her to please get lost slow down! Where do they get these exercise instructors from? The Marines? Are they ex-drill sergeants? Do they think I am training for the Olympics?


I am just a mom, for goodness sake. A mom!!!!! I am not expecting to have to run at lightening speed for five miles while being chased by a rabid dog or a hungry teenager. I am not expecting to have to carry my own weight over a fence while chasing a wayward toddler, a stray dog, or the ice cream truck.

Then they have the nerve to tell me "you're doing great!" O.k., now I may not be the sharpest pencil in the pencil box, but I do know that they can't see me. Every time they tell me I'm "doing great" I just want to growl and yell and tell them "go away, and never come back!" just smile sweetly and say "thank you!"

Here are the things that I need to be able to do in my life:

  • get dressed

  • open a can of diet pepsi

  • lift a piece of chocolate to my mouth

  • sit down at the keyboard and be able to lift my fingers enough to type
Do I really need to exercise all that much to be able to do that? How much does a can of diet pepsi weigh anyway????

22 comments:

  1. You are too funny. I have carried a toddler running full speed while chasing the ice cream truck. LOL Boy, was I tired after that...if only I had been working out at the time. :)
    Jillian and I are still speaking, I just wish me and the fridge weren't too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are blessed to be a naturally thin person. :o) You can definitely get by without working your behind off. Ha.

    Hasn't anyone told you yet how BAD diet drinks are for you? I know, one more thing you shouldn't have. Sorry. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am right there with you...I hate exercise, yet I want the benifit it gives.
    Blessings, andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I really detest exercise dvds. I enjoy outdoor exercise though! I really need lose weight and hope to play badminton with a friend. At least if I do something enjoyable like that then I may stick with it!
    Love Collette x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your are so funny... and timely. My neighbor (who is a health fanatic) forced me to get up at the crack of dawn and go swimming with her! She even arranged child care so I would not have an excuse! My legs barely were able to carry my body when I was done! I am sure I will feel good later on but NOT RIGHT NOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hee, Hee, Hee... love it! My favorite part is your frustration with the people in the video talking to you. That was just funny. And, I agree about the chocolate. Although, I'll take a coke instead of a pepsi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhhh, I am SOOOO with you on this one, Nan! Totally! I 'want' to work-out, but I don't want to spend the time that it takes, nor do I want the pain and agony that it brings.

    So I sit on the couch. Did you know that you can sit on the couch, watch those videos and they'll STILL tell you "YOU'RE DOING GREAT!"? Try it sometime! You'll see I'm right!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I am SOOOO in the middle of this right now!! I HATE exercising! As I was digging the ice cream out of the freezer at a late hour that I won't announce here, Paul raised his eyebrows at me (he doesn't have to say anything-he knows I can read his mind.) I said I'd stop snacking when I found my 'I care' bone again. Right now I'm going through a very strange lack of concern for my weight! On one hand, it's kind of nice-on the other hand, it's kinda freaking me out. Hopefully it won't last very long-certainly when I begin outgrowing my clothes it will throw me into a panic and that 'I care' bone will be firmly back where it is supposed to be!!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you. The desire is there, but the ambition is not. (as I stuff more donut in to my mouth)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh girl, we are soooooooooo in the same place.
    Oh, to fit into the clothes...a girl can dream!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amen sister!!!

    You had me laughing, but I agreed with every word!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh sista I hear ya. coffee...computer...I'm all set. exercise? not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been on a hiatus from exercise for about a month....ughh.I need it back bad...so that I can lift my coffee cup!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Erica is so funny!!

    Anyway, I have this exact same conversation with myself all the time!!! I always convince myself that I don't really need to exercise!! Though I really, really do!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Preach it!!

    It´s so hard to get started but once you get started you don´t want to let it go and then you end up juggling something and something gets left out. It´s a vicious cycle. But hey .. my arms are toner and my backside isn´t jiggling as much!!

    btw. I can see you on my laptop so I can keep going to Momstheword!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are funny! Jillian Michaels, Natalie (her sidekick) and I are best friends about 4 nights a week. Some nights I just think "oh my gosh, I do NOT want to exercise." Then I think about how much better I feel after I exercise and hopefully the end result will be worth the blood, sweat, tears and complaining. Just remember you can say whatever you want to her, she can't hear you either:-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Exercise is fun at first then boring and then dreadful! Sad to say it is nice when I feel like I can walk a flight of stairs and not be out of breath. Exercise does improve that I guess! It has a few good benefits. I guess! I agree with taking too much time thing though!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Preach it, girlfriend! I know exactly what you mean!

    ReplyDelete
  19. By the time they are telling me that I am doing great...I usually am already laying back down on the couch, diet pepsi in hand...watching them doing great.

    It's a love-hate relationship with me too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Being a mom and having that access weight that you wish would just fall off is hard. Trust me I've been there...still there and now I'm trying to do something about it!
    So I bought this book, Fun on Foot in New York by Warwick Ford and Nola Ford that give readers a variety of interesting places to run or walk which helps time pass faster and they run or walk more.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think the diet pepsi and chocolate and lifting those to eat/drink are exercise in themselves not to mention the exercise your mouth gets chewing and swallowing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree with you about exercise. I kind of like walking, but it is hard to get up and go do it.

    You have been so good about keeping your bod in shape. It's good you always get back on the wagon. Great job, Nan!

    ReplyDelete

We love your comments! Please keep it nice and sweet and family friendly so we don't have to delete!